Action Combat Preview - August 17th Livestream and Special Guests

Special Announcements:
  • Intrepid Studios is coming to Europe at Gamescom in Germany (21st August 2018).
  • Name Reservation will be available sometime during Alpha 1 Phase 2 (Hopefully).

Alpha 1 Testing Phase Breakdown:
The Ashes of Creation Alpha 1 is set to begin during the third week of September and will go on for almost 7 months. The Alpha 1 test will focus on three major tests:
  1. Open world Battlegrounds
  2. Castles and Sieges
  3. City 'Horde' Mode
Open world Battlegrounds:
Offering variable combat modes with testing upto a 100 players. They'd like to provide consistent Battleground testing where players will be able to complete a match and instantly queue up for another to ensure heavy testing of the feature. Focused on Matchmaking.

Castles and Sieges:
The objective is to test stability with upto 200 players to ensure they have the right values and spawn timers for various mechanics.

City 'Horde' Mode:
While the first two are self explanatory, Steven went into depth regarding the third point; City 'Horde' mode will consist of a co-operative experience where players work together to defend a node from an onslaught of enemy NPC's that attack in waves. The objective being to test the scaling of content and heavy testing of their NPC mechanics.

Alpha 1 Action Combat Trailer:

Above you'll find the Alpha 1 Action combat trailer showcasing what Intrepid has been working on and their focus during the Alpha 1 testing phase. Many of the weapons and skill effects you see in the above video havent been detailed or havent recieved their textures yet, so expect heavy changes to the combat as we progress through the Alpha testing phases.

First Special Guest - Mat Broome (Lead Character Artist):
Stating that the average character would have upto 30 customizable pieces, Mat Broome provided an overview of the art team over at Intrepid and their vision for ashes of creation, ranging from concept art to animation and rigging.

Potion launchers will use various kinds of potions to provide various effects and to work in different ways. The example provided was that Fire Potion would be the default ammunition type which would be explosive damage, followed by Frost Potions that would freeze the ground and slow/snare enemies within it.

Second Special Guest - Kevin McPhearson (Lead Programmer):
This part of the stream delved into the engineering side of things and the challenges Intrepid studios face with their vision of a massive multiplayer online game. The sheer scale of their vision requires the best minds to ensure they can achieve their goals, for this purpose Kevin McPhearson explains the issues development studios face and the steps they were taking to ensure everything fell perfectly into place. Steven explained how Kevin has worked on projects such as Planetside 2 and Everquest, including the achievement of being a part of the team that managed to host the most amount of players in a single session within Planetside 2. Plans regarding website integration for accounts so in-game cosmetics will be showcased on the website under the player's character profile were brushed over.

And finally, in case you missed it, you can find the entire stream here

Various Potion launcher model concept art:
cBrH4FZ.png

Concept art of mount barding (Mount Armor sets) on a war horse:
c7X0ZFK.jpg

Concept art of the Animal Husbandry system which will let you customize the creatures you breed:

They're working on providing various tiers of visual customization for armor appearances split across 9 different tiers.
Offering over 30 customization slots for your character where everything from the shoulder pads to the belt would be individually adjustable:
A2zG77H.png B6JfGzf.png XdXXhVF.png

The remaining artwork showcased during the stream can be found below:
2WLUW6p.jpg 7IHAIc1.jpg 9Jgb2J9.jpg amXhnnD.png bEeafFl.png bnihl6w.png cJYF4H8.png DvFp4pB.png iuctKyv.png l9yDeSt.png lc3SaGD.png nPwemhQ.png nu5vrRa.jpg p0zaROf.png qRA0TVE.png unknown.png UuR5Z55.png XbIdhvC.png YG88TsI.png ynxDDPl.png

Last edited:
Kirby

Comments

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Swordsman
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
7 Months of alpha 1 testing! That blows my mind.

The action combat looked pretty fast. I really want to see how Intrepid will add tab targeting in to that fast combat.

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
7 Months of alpha 1 testing! That blows my mind.

The action combat looked pretty fast. I really want to see how Intrepid will add tab targeting in to that fast combat.
Yeah it is quite.. Lengthy.. Far, far longer than I expected. I bet those without A1 access are pretty bummed right now o_O

And Steven even specified that they are still on schedule in terms of Q4 2019 release, so that means A2 and all betas are done within ~half a year.

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Swordsman
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
And Steven even specified that they are still on schedule in terms of Q4 2019 release, so that means A2 and all betas are done within ~half a year.
When I did alpha and beta for swtor, Alpha was broken up into a month here and a month there about 2 years before launch. Beta 1 lasted like a month then beta 2 was a week or 2 right before launch. They possibly could cram it all in. I have a feeling A1 is so long due to combat testing and functionality really. The other features of the game they are probably going to slap on as A2 and B1 go along.

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
When I did alpha and beta for swtor, Alpha was broken up into a month here and a month there about 2 years before launch. Beta 1 lasted like a month then beta 2 was a week or 2 right before launch. They possibly could cram it all in. I have a feeling A1 is so long due to combat testing and functionality really. The other features of the game they are probably going to slap on as A2 and B1 go along.
Yeah they could probably do that. I guess the biggest obstacle for them is the combat system (phase 1 and 2), then there is all the underlying technical stuff (server, networking and all that) that needs sorting out. So with all the base systems in place, hopefully A2-B1-B2 will go smoothly with a few months per phase :)

TheCouchNerd

Explorer
Partner Streamer
Explorer
7 months = Alpha 1 Phase 1, since Phase 2 hits Q2. And that kind of explains the 7 month testing. September to April = 7 Months. So it should hit sometime during end of April beginning of May? Then we have 2 quarters for Alpha 2, Beta 0 - 2. Going to be tight but maybe some of the test phases will run parallel.

Anyway I'm really excited for A1. Can't wait to finally get to stream it, and lets pray for fast 24/7 servers. That way I can be online everyday for 8-12 hrs a day.

Oh and the combat looked promising. A bit ESO but faster paced. Then they have some Warframe elements (the ranger bow zoom) and we know they are taking inspiration from GW2 (Weapon Skills). And that weapon swap. So we'll have weapon swapping that's exciting.

New threads

Latest resources

Our Discord

Facebook Page