squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Knight
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
I was one of the lucky 250 to gain access to alpha 1 stress test on Sept. 7. Here's a few thoughts on the game's battle royale mode and visuals...

The game mode was a standard battle royale last Man standing. We were only allowed to queue for solo. If you've played fortnite or are just familiar with the genre, you know how the game mode goes. Special abilities like high jumps or explosion arrows were locked to the weapons. Some armor dropped with camouflage specials which did seem like a major cheat mode.

The visuals on the other hand were out of this world. My game defaulted to epic settings causing a minor stutter, which was corrected by dropping shadows down. Playing on lowest graphic setting didn't hurt the visuals much at all, even looking better than other AAA games on max settings. Every element of the game looked beautiful. Plants to trees to water. The weapon effects and physics were just as amazing.

The action combat was fluid. I was able to snipe players 200m+ away. You needed to be accurate to make a hit with a bow but with the 2hand long sword you could cone sweep and get a hit in. The potion launcher did seem underwhelming however. The bounce physics were great bouncing off of walls to get a hit but the range to initially launch was maybe 15m.

Buildings did seem destructible. I was sniping an opponent from a house when suddenly the walls and stairs exploded around me and a floating mace took some strikes on me. I ended up escaping out of a hole in the wall created from our fight.

Over all the gameplay was top notch. Any server faults we experienced were to be expected. It was the best alpha test I have ever been apart of.

Attachments

Assassino

Tech Enthusiast
Premium
Explorer
Thanks for sharing your experience with us! Glad that the game lives to the expectations, and this battle royale mode was kinda unexpected, but a great way to test and tune combat I would guess! :smile:

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
Great summary, thank you! Looks like the testing has gone pretty well so far, which is good news for the rest of us waiting on the sidelines. Also if the week goes by without any major glitches and bugs, I assume the NDA will be lifted for next week.

The visuals on the other hand were out of this world
Yeah Intrepid is really going all-out here. I'm amazed by the visuals we have seen so far, and I can't wait to get my hands on the Alpha 1 build on my own! What system do you have @squeetee ?

The action combat was fluid. I was able to snipe players 200m+ away. You needed to be accurate to make a hit with a bow
Now this I can like.. 💪My ranger will have a lot of fun 😈

Diura

Recruit
Recruit
AoC Class
Bard
Thank-you for sharing your experience! Very appreciated! Many of us are patiently waiting to hear feedback but nobody has done so yet! An escape through a hole in a wall caused by battle sounds like a lucky accident! Sounds like you had fun! I am surprised the action combat feels fluid already at this stage in Alpha! Can't wait to see how the development continues!

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Knight
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
Thank-you for sharing your experience! Very appreciated! Many of us are patiently waiting to hear feedback but nobody has done so yet! An escape through a hole in a wall caused by battle sounds like a lucky accident! Sounds like you had fun! I am surprised the action combat feels fluid already at this stage in Alpha! Can't wait to see how the development continues!
Yea I was really lucky to escape!

I was totally surprised how good the gameplay felt. My mouse dpi was set fairly low so next time I'll need to boost it up. I was missing a lot of shots. But otherwise I really didn't see any rubber banding or just bad arrow shots that didn't go where I fired. I had loads of fun for the 15mins I played.

Slowbie

Squire
Squire
Thanks for posting your experience. I'm glad that the buildings were destructible. It adds a new way to think/play. :smile:

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Knight
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
Yeah Intrepid is really going all-out here. I'm amazed by the visuals we have seen so far, and I can't wait to get my hands on the Alpha 1 build on my own! What system do you have @squeetee ?
AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor
2x AMD Radeon R9 200
16GB ram

FliP

Forum Bot
Knight
Donator
AoC Class
Fighter
Discord
FliP#8944
Battle Royale was indeed unexpected, but this shows that Intrepid is following trends and wants to make sure AoC is up to date.

I did not get access for the stress test, but I am looking forward to the open "free entry" phase.

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
Battle Royale was indeed unexpected, but this shows that Intrepid is following trends and wants to make sure AoC is up to date.

I did not get access for the stress test, but I am looking forward to the open "free entry" phase.
Yeah for sure. Also I believe they said that it was a good option for the test, as it was easy to implement.

I see some people hating on it (reddit Lul), but honestly it is a refreshing addition. It was easy to add, perfect to stress test using this mode, and after launch people can decide for themselves whether they want to play it or not. :smile:

Kleinature

Content Creator
Legend Premium
Dungeon Squad
Swordsman
I agree that a battle royale mode is one of the best ways to test the action side of combat, as well as the matchmaking system and serverload capacities.

I am VERY excited to jump in game once it becomes persistent (or earlier if I'm not working on the testing days)

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Knight
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
Alpha 1 Stress Test Day 2 Sept 13, 2018:

After 12 failed connections attempts I finally managed to get in. Tip: If you crash to lobby try playing in window mode, it helped me.

I played the game on higher graphics this time without any stutters. The game seemed much more polished for less than a week of work. Visual effects worked correctly, bows had scope screens and weapon/ability descriptions appeared. Still some textures seemed off and you could tell the server had a latency issue but nothing to compare with last weeks test.

The 3 matches I played were all exciting and genuinely fun. First match I had a sword duel with AOC discord mod Alluring. It felt like it lasted for 3-4 minutes before I bested them. We were both inside of a medium to small size structure flailing our swords at each other. Once I left the structure someone with a wand shot me after a short chase and I was done for.

Game 2 was a simple match. I loaded in, couldn't find any loot. Then died to someone with a mace.

Match 3 was a bit more exciting. I made my way to the lava lands in the game. I went down into the cave and while looting was jumped by a player. We had a very long crossbow/wand duel over the lava flows. Eventually the opponent ran away down the cave and I managed to best them with a charged wand attack. Afterwards I left the cave to face another player on top of the lava caves. The battle was fairly short. I managed to "tag" them with what I believe to be the ice crossbow effect which showed me their position behind rocks/boulders. After that I ended up inside a large mansion structure where a duel had happened earlier. Several squares of the floor were missing among chunks of the walls. My match ended with a player using a shield and mace charging, as another player bashed me in the back with a staff breaking the floor and me falling to my death.

Over all I can say I enjoyed the game play more than last weeks, with just the few minor tweaks they implemented. It truly felt as if they had worked extremely hard to make improvements.

Zella

Swordsman
Legend Premium
Swordsman
AoC Class
Cleric
Discord
Zella#0001
thanks for the update! ^.^

Assassino

Tech Enthusiast
Premium
Explorer
Breaking the ground sounds like a funny mechanic!

Oh man! Sounds like you had a blast! Congratulations on being one of the lucky chosen to get in on the stress test! And much thanks for sharing your honest experiences in the game. Hearing peoples stories is the next best thing, to being there yourself. I can picture it in my head, and it looks amazing!