Battlegrounds - The various PvP modes in Alpha 1

Which battleground mode excite you the most?

• Last man standing mode

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Horde mode

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Castle siege mode

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
So with the new gameplay trailer, we need to talk a bit about siege/horde warfare... It is looking pretty badass!

We got shown a trebuchet as a siege weapon, and the panel revealed that players can pilot the siege weaponry. We also know now that this phase will include destructible buildings.

Some thoughts:

Will be VERY interesting to see just how much is destructible. Are we talking more cosmetic destruction (certain parts of the castle get destroyed when certain checkpoints are taken over), or deeper destruction like players being able to target specific areas of the castles? Such as a watch-tower, the gate, certain choke-points in the castle (a gateway between certain points) etc.

I do hope that you are able to punch a hole in the wall, so that you'll have other ways into the castle outside of the massive choke-point that is the gate.. Choke-wars are usually not that much fun.

On the image there are quite a big number of siege weapons outside. It will be a fine balance between making sure these weapons feels as powerful as they are, without making it hopeless for the defenders as the fireballs rain down and wreck all of them constantly. On the flip side, you don't want 5 siege weapons and having them look like they shoot peas.. But this again links to the above question, on just how destructible the castle/environment is.

Friendly fire on with the siege weapons? 😈

Group spells will be vital. If you remember, I wrote earlier about many archetypes of the same type, having massive group-type spells, for example a gigantic wall spell. This type of interaction will be very important in battlegrounds. Of course synergies will also matter, as you'd want a diverse class field, because of the game's scissor-paper-rock balance scheme.

Last man standing mode will be a mayhem 🙃 What would be the optimal strategy for a 100v100 really? Will you try to team up with anyone? In just roam in the backlines sniping one and one? :P

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Guild Master
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
I'm looking forward to the Castle sieges the most. 100vs100 battles to dominate a castle and take ownership of it, similar to galactic civil war bases in SWG. It will be my personal goal to have my guild's flag hung from a castle as soon as possible when the game launches. Building up the surrounding towns for fortifications and preparing my guild/alliance to fight to the last man!!

Also horde mode for city events. I want to knock some competing nodes down a tier or 2 while playing a massive beast.

Reactions: Tex

Kleinature

Content Creator
Legend Premium
Dungeon Squad
Swordsman
Reaction score
Would melee classes be obsolete with defending in the castle sieges? Or would they primarily be on the siege weaponry while the rangers and mages fire their weapons. Same goes for attacking as well because I feel they would just get sniped.

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
Would melee classes be obsolete with defending in the castle sieges? Or would they primarily be on the siege weaponry while the rangers and mages fire their weapons. Same goes for attacking as well because I feel they would just get sniped.
Question for our stress testers I think ^^ --> @squeetee and @Draugshade .

Of course a balance is important, you can't have the melee characters feel completely obsolete.

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Guild Master
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
From the limited battle royale combat we've seen it's hard to say how effective will melee players be at castle sieges. I'm sure they could man the siege weapons but we don't know yet what mechanics the sieges will have entirely.

From early on in development we were told each castle will have some outlying nodes tied to it that will provide bonuses. These will be raided/destroyed before or during the main siege. Also the attackers will have a base camp that can be destroyed extending respawn. Both prime objectives for melee to defend or attack.

Also once the attackers have successfully breached the walls objectives for capture will activate. I believe the final keep objective in a castle has a king of the hill style mechanic. An attacking guild leader or officer needs to stand within the circle for a certain amount of time to capture the castle. This would be a perfect instance for tank walls and close quarters melee combat.

I think depending on which phase of castle siege the event is on, will depend how effective range and melee are.

Draugshade

Recruit
Recruit
Reaction score
I'm excited to see how the mechanics will actually work. I have a feeling that, like @squeetee said, it will be objective based, but to what extent we'll have to see.

The current state of destructible structures is.. lackluster.. Very Fortinite at this point, but at least very functional. I hope for something along the lines of more strategic destruction.

Example - You can destroy a gate and only need 10 shots to break it down for access to a main courtyard, or take out a wall with 30+ shots and have access to defenders spawn point/resource cache, risk vs reward instead of random destruction to the castle/walls.

That said, it could pay off to take out a watchtower or something to prevent defenders from being able to attack you. More musings I guess. 🙃

As far as role viability, there will be a need for all classes simply due to the rock-paper-scissors methodology of class creation the devs are following, you'll need the tank to be the hard counter to mages, or clerics to counter rogues in the backline, etc.

Until we actually see class play, this is mostly speculation, since they never really said much about phase 1 testing and class building. From the trailers it seems like they will keep the current structure where weapons/armor determine skills. It isn't until Phase 2 where we will see actual MMO elements such as class building I believe.

• Amazing!
Reactions: Tex

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
The current state of destructible structures is.. lackluster.. Very Fortinite at this point, but at least very functional. I hope for something along the lines of more strategic destruction.

Example - You can destroy a gate and only need 10 shots to break it down for access to a main courtyard, or take out a wall with 30+ shots and have access to defenders spawn point/resource cache, risk vs reward instead of random destruction to the castle/walls.

That said, it could pay off to take out a watchtower or something to prevent defenders from being able to attack you. More musings I guess. 🙃
Honestly, I'm not surprised. They just added destruction, ahead of schedule, so I'm feeling certain that this will get much more in-depth and strategic. I too want to see things like targeted destruction. It would make the sieges much more strategic and rewarding for the players.

If the destruction is mostly just for "eye-candy", and you can't affect it in any meaningful way, then it is pretty much pointless to be honest.

glak

Squire
Squire
Reaction score
Castle siege would test grouping, healing others, siege equipment, building destruction and building repair. Testing the Full Monty interests me the most.

Last player standing induces the testing of damage types, healing oneself, and world PvP. Not as interesting as the others but necessary to reduce the noise for H2H combat testing and player collision.

Horde Mode would test grouping, healing others, and damage types. Tulnar Vs. the world would be a sweet opportunity for player lore. Tan Vs. Turquoise, not so much. Monster Tokens Vs. the world would add a fun factor and test Monster Tokens at the same time.