Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
So I'm a HUGE fan of board-games. More so than PC gaming actually. I have hundreds of games, and it is of my biggest interests. I have a tendency to always go ALL OUT when it comes to pimping my games (that I play often). Among my top games I've probably spent x4 times the actual game cost to add custom organizers, box inserts and other goodies. Anyone else enjoying the classical form of gaming through board/card games?

It is more social, and I also love fiddling with all these lovely tokens, fantastic looking art, cards etc. All that I can actually feel and play with. :happyface:

My top games currently, is:

Merchants & Marauders (including the Seas of Glory expansion, which is a must).
Pirate game set in the Caribbean. You chose between being a lawful merchants, trading goods, or pirating by sinking ships and taking their cargo. Be vary of other players and naval/pirate ships however!
If you are looking for a pirate themed board-game, this is the best one 100%. We've played it countless times, it is still fun and we still find new cards and clues. It is a game recommended for 3-4 players. You can play it fine with 3, but I enjoy it the most with 4.

A Game of Thrones 2nd Edition Board Game
Well, if you like GoT and enjoy deep war strategy games, then you should own this one. Backstab your friends and take control over the iron throne! The reason I enjoy this game (other than the GoT theme, which is amazing), is the fact that it has very little focus on luck. Unlike games such as RISK, which is awful with it's random dice combats, combat in AGOT revolves around placing orders to your units and comparing combat strength (cards and units). It is sort of like chess, in which you have to consider your opponents future moves, where he might strike/what unit orders he places where and so on. It hugely favors those planning well ahead, even though of course random events might disrupt your plans.

The game is for 3-6 players, even though it MUST currently be played with 6 players to work properly. There is a new expansion coming Q4 2018, which will allow the game to be played properly with 3-8 players, fixing the issue that the game must be played with the maximum player count).

Colt Express (with all 3 expansions)
Fun, quick paced card game with a 3D modeled train that you use as game board. It is very addictive, where you must rob a train and shoot your opponents. The game is divided in two phases, planning and execution. Problem is, you all plan at the same time (and others may affect if you can do your action), so usually that ends in hilarious results during the action phase, where you MUST follow your planned order, even if it now is an awful move. For 3-8 players with all the expansions, I'd recommend at least 5 players.

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Knight
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
I love playing table top and board games. I've been getting way more into it over the past 2 years. I was playing Pathfinder for the majority of 2017. I've also started collecting Star Wars Armada table top ships with the goal of entering tournaments in the area. Axis and Allies is always a go to option for me.

I've had bum luck with having a consistent group to play with so it usually ends up being my 6 year old and I lol.

Merchants and Marauders looks fun. Are those all customer card holders and dice towers in the picture?

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
I love playing table top and board games. I've been getting way more into it over the past 2 years. I was playing Pathfinder for the majority of 2017. I've also started collecting Star Wars Armada table top ships with the goal of entering tournaments in the area. Axis and Allies is always a go to option for me.

I've had bum luck with having a consistent group to play with so it usually ends up being my 6 year old and I lol.

Merchants and Marauders looks fun. Are those all customer card holders and dice towers in the picture?
Ah, some nice choices there mate! I've played my share of A&A back in the day.. :smile:

That's a shame. (not that playing with your kid can't be fun too, but.. :tongueout:) I've been lucky, so I have a group of about 4-7 players that can play regularly.

M&M is our most played game at the moment! Only 4 players, but a lot of fun. Yes, I've bought those. I have pimped my game with the following goods:
  • The chests.
The included cardboard chests are awkward. So these were the first ones that I wanted to improve. I ended up with these. They are relatively small, but enough space for the coins. Also I think they are nice looking :smile:
  • The coins.
Of course the cardboard coins needs to be replaced with some proper piratey coins! Argh! These ones are good! Great feel, looks nice and are not very expensive. You can order them in 4 currencies (as it is in the game), or you can go with 3 or 2. I went with 4 currencies acting as 1s, 2s, 5s and 10s. (20pcs of the small ones, and 30pcs of the big ones).
  • Hit Location Overlay.
I hate when the hit location cubes go all over the place by the slightest touch. The solution to that were these nice overlays acrylic. Buy link: Here.
  • Card Holder
Any card holder for small cards will do obviously, but I ended up with the one from e-Raptor, Card Holder 6S. Link.
  • Storage for the coins
As for the coins, I used the e-Raptor Token Storage Box L to keep the "bank coins" organized and easily accessible. Link
  • Dice Tower
At least at my table, the space to roll dices are very limited, and I'm so tired of people rolling the dices over the board (crushing something on the way) or onto the floor. Solution? Two dice towers, one for each side of the table. This time I went for the great guys over at Tower Rex (@ Etsy.com). Very cheap and good quality. Link.
  • Box Organizer Insert
One more thing. Properly organizing the box with a insert is a must in my opinion. Makes everything looks organized and clean, and reduces set-up and take-down time. I recommend this one over at Overkilled Storage (@ Etsy.com). Link.

Not done yet.. But on my wish list:
  • The ships.
Of course, the biggest change is painting the Naval ships so you can easily distinguish them from each other. Like this: Image
I haven't done this yet, but I plan on doing it now. It doesn't cost much, the problem is it is very time consuming and takes a lot of practice to get it done nicely.

• Gaming mats
I'm looking into one of those nice "gaming mats" to use on my table (either 1 large for the whole table, or 1 for each player to use under his organizers), so that the organizers don't slide around on the table and actually keeps in place. When you use the expansion pack you have these modules you add to the organizer for each player, which is nice, but they slide around easily if you are not careful. So that is annoying. The proper quality gaming mats aren't cheap though, so I haven't bought this yet.

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Knight
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
Wow you really are going to town updating your game. It all looks great.

The e-raptor site has some cool stuff. I really like their dice towers and card holders. It looks like they have an affiliate in the states I can purchase from. That's also relatively close to me :devilish:

I usually go to https://www.miniaturemarket.com/ for any supplies I need.

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
Thanks ^^ Yeah I am addicted to pimping my board games lol.

For sure, e-raptor has some nice products. Though I've had quite the big success buying stuff from small companies/private people on etsy.com, cheaper and usually very good quality.

Draugshade

Recruit
Recruit
I like to play most long-play games, pretty much any board game that requires some thought.

Right now I'm running a bi-weekly Gloomhaven game with some friends. Eventually it will probably become bi-weekly D&D 5th Edition with mixing in of Scythe or Twilight Imperium when time allows.

If we get enough interest and available people, we will play Secret Hitler, which is really only good when you've got 8-10 people. Hilarious and obnoxious game with a lot of people, especially if you involve alcohol. :smile:

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
I like to play most long-play games, pretty much any board game that requires some thought.

Right now I'm running a bi-weekly Gloomhaven game with some friends. Eventually it will probably become bi-weekly D&D 5th Edition with mixing in of Scythe or Twilight Imperium when time allows.

If we get enough interest and available people, we will play Secret Hitler, which is really only good when you've got 8-10 people. Hilarious and obnoxious game with a lot of people, especially if you involve alcohol. :smile:
Nice! I love board games, and I too enjoy the long games the most :smile: Deep strategic games, as AGOT, are my favorites.

I've actually considered Scythe a few times.. Haven't bought it yet though. What did you think about it? Rewarding game mechanics? Is it very hard to learn? I have a few friends that don't enjoy when the rule-book exceeds like 40 pages haha.

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
Had a lot of fun playing Citadels (2016 Edition) yesterday. A card game where you select a character each round (with various special abilities), to help you build districts in your city, and mess with your opponents. Very engaging, with a good dose of mind-games :happyface:

20181014_111916.jpg