First raid PvE video released from Alpha 0! May 4th livestream breakdown and Q&A section

What a great livestream last night! The stream, which lasted for about 1 hour, featured Steven, Jeffrey and Bacon. We first got a brief introduction, where they talked about bacon stuff (of course!), their Kickstarter office bet (Tristan cheated!) and how their team has increased from 30 to 70 in the last year. Very impressive! They are currently working on housing and environments, and we have some images shared which you can check out bellow.

studio.jpg
The gang ready for another live stream!

First PvE raid video and Alpha 1 build ahead of schedule

We got shared a video from a recent Alpha 0 test, where they focused on PvE raid mechanics. The current size for raids was confirmed to be 40 players, but being alpha this can obviously change later. Steven also mentioned that they are impressed by the Epic engine, and their progress for the networking, bringing vast improvements compared to the state of the game 1 year ago. The game looks fluid, even with 40 people being in one place at the same time.

town.jpg
In the town, gathering the group.

road.jpg
On the way to the dungeon. Killing some mobs.

road2.jpg
More road kills!

The players in the video are making their way into the underrealm, which looks to be the same featured in the PAX demo. This time they have horses actually working! :smile: We get to see poor Sorrow's Hunger again, now being slaughtered by 40 people. That said, Jeffrey hinted that we will soon be seeing some of the stuff that they have been working on lately, promising that it will look even better than the Alpha 0 content from the last few months. As we know from their recent announcements, the team is working hard on the Alpha 1 build. Steven even mentioned that they are a little bit ahead of schedule, which could mean that a late Q3 release for Alpha 1 isn't entirely unrealistic! They previously had planned Alpha 1 for the end of the year, so this is great news. New hires are also coming in, which we'll be getting some more news on next week. Will we see a Community Manager again?

Tex said:
Steven even mentioned that they are a little bit ahead of schedule, which could mean that a late Q3 release for Alpha 1 isn't entirely unrealistic!
underrealm.jpg
Entering underrealm.

raid.jpg
Killing Sorrow's Hunger, again!

They now reached the next boss, this time the Brood Queen. The brood queen being a bit more difficult opponent, with some larger AoE abilities than Sorrow's Hunger. Jeffrey talked about how they weren't completely happy with how Brood played in the PAX demo, so they boosted the boss for the Alpha 0 testers, giving it a knock-back ability and a large damage AoE spell.

brood queen.jpg
The enhanced Brood Queen.

after boss.jpg
After boss they hunt a few more mobs.

Node PvP, and Unreal engine is Epic!

At the end of the video, Jeffrey and his smaller Co. is engaged by a large player mob in the town node! While the slaughter commences on the screen, Steven mentions that they are impressed by the Unreal engine. We have heard some complaints (reddit..) about the engine choice, and some being pessimistic about they being able to make it work with as many people as you have with an MMORPG. Both the client side and server side performance is great, which is also what Steven mentioned during the last interview with Dungeon Crawler Network. They currently have 14 engineers working on the engine and the backend code. Also being easy to ask Epic for help when they need it.

PvP.jpg
PvP in the town!

PvP2.jpg
For Alpha 0 the PvP looks pretty good.

flames of hell.jpg
Javier don't stand in the fire!!

Some new art, with sneak peak at new dungeon!

Sidebar: Crossbow and potion launcher (what the?..) confirmed!

You can watch the rest of the images in our media section!

Questions and Answers section

The last part of the stream is, as usual, a Q&A section. This time, the transcripts here are brought to you 100% by myself.

Question: Will there be a stufferton server?
Answer:
*Team laughs.*
Steven: With only stuffertons! I'd love it.
Jeffrey: That would be amazing, I would play on that!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me: Yeah sorry, don't think that's happening haha.

Question: Crossbows?
Answer:
*Team laughs again.*
Steven: Crossbows are "baconfirmed"!

Question: Nodes part 3?
Answer:
Steven:
We are still working on nodes part 3.
Jeffrey: Working on videos like that take a lot of time away from other things. We just been busy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me: Sorry guys, nodes part 3 is still SOONTM.

Question: Will there be random treasure chests in the world? Treasure map, quests etc.
Answer:
Jeffrey:
Really, could we do that? I think we can.
Steven: Who knows *smiles*.. I think that might be something we discussed. So the answer to that is maybe.

Question: Will we be able to make our character before launch?
Answer:
Steven:
I would like to offer our character creation screen before launch. So people can bring it to life. We are going to work for that.

Question:How long until alpha 0 ends?
Answer:
Jeffrey:
I'm not sure it will end. It is testing on the technical side, stability, optimization etc. It may end eventually or morph into something else.

Question: I'm a computer animation student, what should I aim to work on, in terms for software an ability, for I would like to join you guys in the studio one day.
Answer:
Steven:
Some good software to focus on is Motion Builder, Maya, and of course Unreal.
Jeffrey: Depends on what kind of animator you want to be though. Technical? Mechanics of animation? Playing with the sketchbook every day.
Steven: Focus on learning those software's, and explore all realms of animations to find your passion.
Jeffrey: Absolutely, because you'll be doing it 8 hours a day for the rest of your life, so it's really important not to get burned out on it. So take your time to explore during your school. It isn't easy.

Question: Will motion blur be able to turn on and off? Point of View?
Answer:
Steven:
Yes. As for PoV, we are 3rd person view. You could zoom in to make it look similar to 1st person view. We may have that, but you won't see 1st person animations and such.
Jeffrey: It might look weird, we are certainly not designing it to be 1st person.

Question: What is the difference between daggers and maces? Could you equip one of each in a dual wield fashion?
Answer:
Steven:
Our designs are intended to be tested. But we have discussed to have one handed weapons being interchangeable into dual wielding weapons. Daggers and maces would fall into that category. What type of augments can the weapon receive? Mace would be blood magic, while dagger would be piercing damage. They will have their own school of augments, depends on what character you want to have.
The weapons are intended to be agnostic, in a sense that you can find a way for the weapon to be utilized by different classes.

Bacon: Can we throw daggers?
Steven: Yes. There are skills that allow you to throw daggers.

Question: What can I do to support Intrepid without breaking my bank?
Answer:
Steven:
Our project is fully funded. We have no box cost, only subscription cost. Participate in the community, watch streams, join discord and spread the word. That's important to us. And you can get a key through raffle.

Question: When will we see the other 4 archetypes?
Answer:
Steven: Phase 2 Alpha 1.

Question: Will there be global announcements for world changing events? Or pass through players?
Answer:
Jeffrey:
Ideally through players. But when a castle is up for attack, we need to tell everyone. Those things are necessary.
Steven: Legendary world boss sieges, but not caravan and local node events.
Jeffrey: It's about finding the right balance. We don't want a node to disappear of the map without people being able to react.

Question: What will the maturity of the game feel like? Will it feel dark and gruesome?
Answer:
Jeffrey and Steven:
In the video there were some dead scouts, piled up. Blood around them.
Bacon: Plus I work on the project.
*Team laughs*.
Jeffrey: Nobody can stop Bacon. There will be enough seriousness. Won't be swearing in quests, I don't think that's necessary. There definitely is a dark side to it, the story.

Question: Fast travel, auto pathing or just use mats?
Answer:
Steven:
So there is very little fast travel in the game. Certain metropolis types. There are mounts that are faster, and there will be services that are fast travel between nodes. That has been built.
Jeffrey: No auto "go to waypoint" stuff.

Question: How does saving your name work for the backers? Do higher package people go first?
Answer:
Steven:
When we do implement name reservation, it will come by order of tier. Will come closer to beta.

Question: The monthly subscription price?
Answer:
Steven:
15 USD per month.

Question: Do you plan on making an app for world events notifications, character notifications and item management?
Answer:
Steven:
Yes! There will be a app for players to download. Notifications for housing, world events, some game interaction.
Jeffrey: Some stuff might come post-launch. We do wan't people to interact also off their PC.

Question: Tell us more about potion launchers.
Answer:
Steven:
They were accidentally put into the art thing. I blame Bacon. *laughs* We will reveal more about weapons soon.
Bacon: Finally got it in!

Question: What type of PC was the demo running on? Price range?
Answer:
Steven:
GTX 970 graphic card.

Question: What are some of the challenges we are facing currently?
Answer:
Jeffrey:
No big challenges. For us we are very careful about who we hire.
Steven: Just a general growth challenge. Ashes is a huge project. We are going to have to grow even bigger, closer to 200 at the apex. Getting there, both talent wise and cultural. We have to be careful.
Jeffrey: We need people to be on the same page. As we grow we need to have a positive, forward focus.
Steven: My challenge is the transparency. It's a two edge sword. It leaves us open to some misinterpretations. The community can help spread the information.

Closing: Steven: We will have a new stream next month, no date yet! We have some very exciting stuff coming soon.

behind the scenes.jpg
Steven handing out keys!

They also did a closing raffle with 10 Alpha 0 keys, so congratulations to those who won!

For those who want to watch the stream in full, check it out here:

Last edited:
Tex

Comments

Malgus

Squire
Squire
very well made I had to ask that other 4 classes drop as me and @Shunex were discussing now it has been confirmed around that time frame but still subject to change

Cydramech

Explorer
Veteran
Explorer
Excellent stuff.

Narys

Mother of Yatas
Legend Premium
Veteran
Swordsman
Donator
AoC Class
Cleric
Discord
Narys#5109
Fantastic write up, the game is looking better each stream!

Santy182

Swordsman
Swordsman
Top Poster Of Month
AoC Class
Tank
It's amazing how much better it looks every time they show it.

Can't wait to see the new systems in place for Alpha 1.:LOL:

Shunex

Phoenix Supporter Group
Veteran
Knight
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
Shunex#1117
Hahaha every time i watch it, i think and no work got done today because it was raid day at the office :ROFLMAO:

Kalez

Squire
Squire
its nice to see how much of the game they have already made and testing

Shunex

Phoenix Supporter Group
Veteran
Knight
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
Shunex#1117
its nice to see how much of the game they have already made and testing
yeah i can't wait till the NDA is lifted so we start seeing a ton more video's pop up :smile:

New threads

Latest guides

Facebook Page