Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
I'm really exited about the freeholds feature. I wonder how expensive/hard it will be to make that, compared to buying in-node housing. Also how useful they will be in practice. Perhaps place a freehold near a big instance opening, getting rich selling mounts, potions etc. :D I'm going all out in the property/real estate aspect of this game :love: Check out this nice video of two freeholds in Alpha 0:

If you don't know about freeholds: These pieces of property can be built anywhere within a Node’s Zone of Influence (after node lvl 3). These are sizable plots of land that all sorts of structures can be built on. Inns, taverns, forges, smelters, lumber yards, mills, stables, are all things that you might find on a Freehold. Specific vendors can be added to a Freehold, dependent on node progression. Players will be able to invite other players to their Freehold and enable them to use specific functions. There will also be an option to charge other players for services provided. (check out my guide here)

Narys

Mother of Yatas
Legend Premium
Veteran
Knight
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Cleric
Discord
Narys#5109
I really hope that they are highly customisable in terms of how you can configure them. I'm not sure I'd want a house but stables and pens for breeding animals would be very useful!

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
I really hope that they are highly customisable in terms of how you can configure them. I'm not sure I'd want a house but stables and pens for breeding animals would be very useful!
Indeed! Set up a freehold near an important quest area/crossroad, and get rich selling all sorts of things for bypassing travelers. Tavern, stables, blacksmith etc. That's the dream :)

Greypelt

Squire
Squire
Reaction score
I sort of suspect selling stuff in node will get better results - I suspect a lot of freeholds will attempt to sell things when they are initially setup, but many players will neglect to properly refresh their stocks, meaning many freeholds will run out of things to sell, making it less likely for players to bother checking what a specific freehold has for sale, unless that particular location has really made a name for itself.

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
I sort of suspect selling stuff in node will get better results - I suspect a lot of freeholds will attempt to sell things when they are initially setup, but many players will neglect to properly refresh their stocks, meaning many freeholds will run out of things to sell, making it less likely for players to bother checking what a specific freehold has for sale, unless that particular location has really made a name for itself.
Yeah that might be true. It will definitely be harder to manage, though with careful planning and management, it can be a success. I will definitely give it a try :)

Narys

Mother of Yatas
Legend Premium
Veteran
Knight
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Cleric
Discord
Narys#5109
Most probably animal pens and farms to grow the feed, I will probably sacrifice a house for this as well. You can never have enough animals!

Solemnfaceman

Squire
Squire
Reaction score
I was thinking about this for ages and I've chosen to Just make a comfortable Inn,Not for the coin (though i'll take what comes).
I'm going to wait until we know common trade routes for caravans and set up next to It. I'll be a nice stage coach stop between points and a gang of my bois will pounce on some nice bounties and easy PvP losers,

• AshesGasm
Reactions: Tex

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
I was thinking about this for ages and I've chosen to Just make a comfortable Inn,Not for the coin (though i'll take what comes).
I'm going to wait until we know common trade routes for caravans and set up next to It. I'll be a nice stage coach stop between points and a gang of my bois will pounce on some nice bounties and easy PvP losers,
haha I like it :P

Just note that you can't place a freehold near:
  • Pathing routes (Roadways).
  • Dungeons.
  • Spawn areas.
  • Other freehold plots.
  • Hard terrain features, such as mountainsides or cliffs.
Source

Lifeburn

Squire
Squire
Reaction score
This aspect is huge for me, Freeholds remind me of UO because it allows player created cities and an economy, centric around areas that might be beneficial to nearby points of interest.

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Guild Master
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
I'm already planning between my 3 accounts how to best setup my freeholds into a mini village. Which one will have a forge. Which will have the tavern. Which will be my house. Can't really decide yet considering we don't have any information on building bonuses and what not.

Draugshade

Recruit
Recruit
Reaction score
@squeetee, three accounts? Man, I was toying with the idea of paying monthly for a second in addition to my lifetime account, but dang...

As far as me, I plan on focusing a lot into crafting whatever is best for my class, I want the best item possible. So I plan on doing resource gathering/processing out in the wild and I'm guessing some of the more difficult to obtain materials will be far from main cities, so having a location nearby to quickly go from farming to processing then back seems convenient. Make weekly trips into town to sell excess supplies.