Swordsman
Legend Premium
Swordsman
Reaction score
AoC Class
Cleric
Discord
Zella#0001
Let's taco-bout head start and early access.

What are your thoughts on it? What are your thoughts on the way that AoC is going about it?

I am completely torn on this. I have talked with a few people on it, and overall I don't think it's the best idea. The problem I see with having a few early access servers is that each guild is going to have people with early access in them. Then when the gates open, those same guilds are going to try and be getting ALL of their members in. So I see them filling up extremely fast. Since we don't have 100% confirmation on if server transfers are going to be a thing early game or not this also adds an interesting dynamic.

The torn part is I will want to start playing as soon as possible lol.

So what should give?

~Zel

(Disclaimer I did a quick search to see if this was talked about already I didn't find anything but I could be completely blind. Sorry if it was lol!)

headstart.PNG

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Release_schedule#Head_start

350px-headstart.jpg

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Guild Master
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
I'm not a big fan of an early start, but with the kind of setup Intrepid is doing it's a little better.

Like you you said @Zella guilds will be doing a mad rush to fill up on servers the majority of their players are already on. Which could cause some servers to fill up early. Especially if we only get like 2 or 3 head start servers.

Luckily though Intrepid is leaving the node system off during head start. This way no players can get rooted into the game by drastically altering the landscape before everyone is allowed access. But those players will still be ahead in game time for gathering resources, leveling and learning the ins and outs of the world.

Head start does however allow for some last second testing of the launch build before the masses hit. Let's Intrepid get one last tweak in.

Also it allows for content creators or large publications to create early content on the game to increase hype and sales of the product, without having too many people filling up the quest areas.

Personally I have purchased into the head start packages. And I fully plan to take advantage of the opportunity. For personal gain and to provide content for this site.

FliP

Forum Bot
Knight
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Fighter
Discord
FliP#8944
I agree that node development will be off during headstart, although people will mostly use it to gain level, knowledge and financial advantages.

What I don't consider a smart move is splitting the community into Headstart and Non-headstart servers. My opinion is we should just have "servers" for which people with headstart can get in 2-3 days earlier than others.

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Guild Master
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
I agree that node development will be off during headstart, although people will mostly use it to gain level, knowledge and financial advantages.

What I don't consider a smart move is splitting the community into Headstart and Non-headstart servers. My opinion is we should just have "servers" for which people with headstart can get in 2-3 days earlier than others.
I believe originally it was going to be every server was open to head start. But too many complaints about players having advantages of some shape or other. So this was the "fix".

Honestly any advantage really disappears quick in an MMO. Very rarely does a player from head start have an advantage a week or 2 later. From my experience.

FliP

Forum Bot
Knight
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Fighter
Discord
FliP#8944
True. You can only maintain the advantage if you keep on playing 10 hours a day.

If you do not, someone that does will catch up with you within a week.

Advantage does not bother me, splitting the community does. Players that did not buy a headstart will still be able to play on Headstart servers once they officially open?

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Guild Master
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
Yes players without head start will be able to join any server come launch day. And head start can join any server on launch day too. The exclusive servers are only during head start. It's more of a heads up to those who are worried about being at a disadvantage during launch.

Thinking about it more I like the segregated servers. Everyone allowed during head start will probably be more deadicated to the game. Those servers will probably be more active with a deeper community.

FliP

Forum Bot
Knight
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Fighter
Discord
FliP#8944
In that case it's fine.

The way it was presented back in the day, maybe even miscommunication, was that there will be separate servers for people with separate access, eg. Normal cannot play on Headstart.

This would have been a very bad move for Guilds.

Kleinature

Content Creator
Legend Premium
Dungeon Squad
Swordsman
Reaction score
To add to this..

Don't forget that new monsters only start appearing when node level progresses. So if node exp/levelling is turned off then there will only be the extremely low level mobs out in the world. This will severely limit how quick an individual player can level up. You probably will only see up to level 5's (as an example only). This same principal would apply to financial gain. The headstart players would probably only have an inventory of junk items and low money by the time everyone else starts.

In regards to knowledge it will purely be environmental knowledge, as nodes aren't visible until they level up. You may be able to run around and find a large supply of resources which you decide to stick around and start levelling that particular node area once the headstart is switched off.

FliP

Forum Bot
Knight
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Fighter
Discord
FliP#8944
To add to this..

Don't forget that new monsters only start appearing when node level progresses. So if node exp/levelling is turned off then there will only be the extremely low level mobs out in the world. This will severely limit how quick an individual player can level up. You probably will only see up to level 5's (as an example only). This same principal would apply to financial gain. The headstart players would probably only have an inventory of junk items and low money by the time everyone else starts.

In regards to knowledge it will purely be environmental knowledge, as nodes aren't visible until they level up. You may be able to run around and find a large supply of resources which you decide to stick around and start levelling that particular node area once the headstart is switched off.
Why would people buy into a headstart in that case? There must be something other than being able to enjoy the landscape a few days earlier.

Shunex

Phoenix Supporter Group
Veteran
Knight
Reaction score
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
Shunex#1117
in more p2w mmo's in the past, headstarts were great for that "speedrun-type" race to the finish, or the land grab's or world firsts, im kinda glad ashes will be different, but at the same time, currious to what we can actually do with the nodes off. but the also server as a important tool for intrepid to give the server's a final check before letting in the masses into the live game.

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Guild Master
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
Why would people buy into a headstart in that case? There must be something other than being able to enjoy the landscape a few days earlier.
I had a guildie go from the $250 tier to $500 tier so they could get access to head start specifically. Can't justify their actions but they really wanted those 2 days.

FliP

Forum Bot
Knight
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Fighter
Discord
FliP#8944
Yeah, paying 250$ so you can stress test the servers for the last time sounds very wierd.

I usually buy Headstarts in new games because I know what I will get out of them. When BDO launched, I was already Lv51 and nearly max geared (BDO has neverending progression, but what was considered "max" at that point, except rare drop accessories).

Other than namegrabs, I don't see the point of a headstart in AoC, but we will see, maybe it will become more clear with time.

TheCouchNerd

Explorer
Dungeon Squad
Explorer
Reaction score
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
TheCouchNerd#5936
I'm a bit worried how they will handle big time streamers rolling on head start servers, bringing their fan base with them and then leaving the game after the hype settles.

Santy182

Swordsman
Swordsman
Reaction score
AoC Class
Tank
I'm not worried.
Either people realieze that headstart is not a real advantage and the hs servers thrive, or people abandom the hs servers after a while in favor of non hs servers in which case they already fulfilled what they were meant to do which is cushion people influx and troubleshoot during the first launch days.

I mean even if the hs people somehow manage to play during the 48 hours straight, then keep playing for 10 hours a day the following days non stop. Someone that joins after hs and plays 12 hrs a day will catch up fairly quickly. Since, as the node systems are disabled during hs, the quests, dungeons, spawn and loot tables won't make it easy for them to get very far. They will have to probably travel very far to find more quests, if any so yeah, the inefficiency during hs due to the node system being disabled will mean that after launch people will catch up almost instantly to the people that played healthy amounts of time, and in a matter of weeks to the nolifers.

• Agree
Reactions: Tex

Zella

Swordsman
Legend Premium
Swordsman
Reaction score
AoC Class
Cleric
Discord
Zella#0001
I'm not so worried about the progression....mostly just the guilds.

Atm they have 3 HS servers right? (subject to change)
Prob 1 NA 1 EU and 1 OCE.
-That is guessing they meant 3 total and not 3 per, so I could be wrong there...if it is 3 per this would be less of an issue and I will just look dumb LOL-
but we know they are going to have an 8-10k concurrent user cap...just not sure yet how many server users that means.

I just worry there is no way that everyone is going to get in when they getting flooded on launch day. There is the potential they are filled within minutes if everyone and everything is ready to go. Then you might be forced to make a choice of starting over on a new server with your guild or not.

Did that make sense? words are hard LOL.