Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
So what do you think of headshots being a feature in Ashes? Do you think it adds realism and makes it more engaging in PvP? Or does such a feature not belong in an MMORPG?

I personally think they have nothing to do in an MMORPG, I don't like it one bit. I want combat in MMORPGs to be slower in general (compared to for example traditional shooter games), not getting 1-shot because of a lucky HS from 300m. In CS that's fine, but not in Ashes. In Ashes the fights should be engaging (not done in two seconds) and revolve around skill (correct spell usage, positioning etc etc), but I don't think that headshot mechanics should be a part of that.

FliP

Forum Bot
Knight
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Fighter
Discord
FliP#8944
It's a no from me, for several reasons:
- Ashes is also supposed to have tab-target combat, how will you headshot with tabtarget combat?
- Headshots would only be in favor of ranged classes, giving them another advantage. Can melee classes accidently stab people in the face as headshots?

I don't think headshots belong in MMORPGs. For extra damage, there is the critical stat.

Reactions: Tex

Harue

Recruit
Recruit
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Mage
Discord
Harue #0801
Personally, it's a very interesting feature which
isn't seen in any other MMORPG's as we know off.
Headshots giving critical damage is a common feature seen in other games as well.

This doesn't mean it's a good or bad feature since having critical damage when hitting the head is requiring somewhat "skill".
The fact that people are able to one shot kill, is a bad feature.

It should at least take a few hits even if it includes critical damage.

Does this feature belong in Ashes of Creation?
Not really, since not everyone has a good consistent latency, to make use of it.

Last edited:

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Guild Master
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
Like already said Intrepid is trying to also add in a tab targeting system for abilities. As it stand right now I don't see how the action combat and tab will work together. If they can pull it off it'll be a big miracle.

But then that brings it down to the critical hits vs headshots. Balancing critical hit stats vs headshot chance is going to be amazingly difficult. How will they balance certain ranged abilities like archery vs a melee strike. Or classes that are ranged in general vs melee. To me it adds just another element of the balancing act this game will have to go through. They already will have 8 primary with 8 sub classes combining for 64 different classes including people using different skill setups.

I don't see it ending well. I think a critical hit stat should be for action and tab targeting that blankets all damage skills.

• Agree

Santy182

Swordsman
Swordsman
Reaction score
AoC Class
Tank
idk, weak point aiming sounds like a good way to introduce critical hits to the action side of combat right now it just feels wrong being able to 1 hit K-O someone but I'm sure it will be tuned and balanced to make it a lot less OP.

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
I think they should scrap this all-together, if it is indeed intended to be a feature in the live game. Like mentioned by several above, the balancing will also be hard (melee vs ranged). There are other ways to reward skill during combat, which would work well with the hybrid combat system in Ashes.

Tiberius

Recruit
Legend Premium
Guest Editor
Recruit
Reaction score
AoC Class
Mage
Discord
Tiberius#6476
Steven mentioned in a live stream that the headshot mechanic is something they are working on, and will not be going live in the way it is right now. It was more of a function used in the battle royal mode to help with skill shots since that's the style of the game. They are in debate right now whether or not they want to have "crit zone" mechanics in the game. As for the PvP or targeting system, they stated so far it looks to be a mix of target and aiming. Tab targeting for people who want it but if you want to do aim functionality then certain spells will react that way and could do more dmg. I personally would like to see how it plays out. I am used to tab target and using abilities to counter each other but I have also played games with targeted abilities. Definitely different play styles for sure.

• Agree

Kleinature

Content Creator
Legend Premium
Dungeon Squad
Swordsman
Reaction score
I see it as a yes and no situation.

No for PVP due to players also having tab target skills (making it much easier to critical hit compared to an action headshot).

Yes for PVE where certain boss mobs may have weak spots that give you an instant crit if hit. This "weak spot" should be quite difficult to hit.