My A0 experience

BraneGames

Squire
Squire
Hello everyone! (This is a repost from what I just posted on the official Ashes forums)

Not so many hours ago, Steven went onto the discord and informed us A0 testers that we are now allowed to share our A0 experience with the rest of you guys. I am still unable to provide audio or video recording as that is still under NDA.

However, I would like to tell you guys about my testing experience and what to take away from A0.

My journey started off with me being unable to get into the game, due to bugs with the client and the game itself. As many others, I would get stuck at the infamous Windmill Boss and I actually only got into the game once for the entire period of testing. I was able to provide bugs and feedback by sharing my experiences with the client, but there was this one time where I actually got into the game

And my, was it beautiful. The graphics in A0 really were something different from A1. You could sense the MMO aspect behind the world and feel it's scale when walking around, especially when you were close to the mountains. Your journey would start off at an Empyrian portal, which was very grand in scale and was sorrounded by large statues and ruins with a roman-esque feel to them.

Getting into questing itself was tricky due to some bugs that prevented the quest tracker from being able to pick up when a mob was killed, so after reporting the bug, I mostly went exploring. There were some NPC's stuck in the ground, which was pretty hilarious to look at.

When you left the starting area, your gear already looked pretty cool, even though it was very simplistic. You were able to swap weapons and use class abilities. I played a cleric and the amount of healing my character did, at the time seemed very ridiculous. Leaving the portal area, you were met with a vast forest and various paths leading in different directions. I took the one less traveled. Basically I didn't really follow the trail. I went down to the river and was left amazed by the water texture which looked pretty freaking cool.

Crossing the river I was met with catlike creatures that seemed a bit too overtuned for solocontent, not that I mind the challenge. A few moments after crossing the river, the server crashed and my short adventure had come to an end.

TLDR of my experience with ashes
- Beautiful graphicwise
- Very standard MMO
- Laggy (Probably due to me being EU)
- Unstable server/connection wise
- Buggy

All things which I expected going into the test, but it was a fun and refreshing experience nonetheless, having never tested a game before.

Please let me know if any of you had any exciting adventures in A0 yourselves, and do not hesitate to ask questions. The game is very much still in alpha, and I may not be able to answer a lot of your questions, due to it being so very basic (in a good way), but I will try my best.

that smiley though

Last edited by a moderator:

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Knight
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
Thanks for sharing! It's unfortunate you only got one chance in the world but still to experience Ashes so early on is great.

Sounds like you were the ideal tester. Kept trying and reporting bugs :smile:

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
@BraneGames Nice, thanks for sharing with us :smile: Looks like it was a solid experience, even if it was buggy and all those things you'd expected from an Alpha 0 build.

The graphics in A0 really were something different from A1
Really? Wow that's pretty neat if so.

I have a question though: What did you think was the biggest improvement from Alpha 0 to Alpha 1?

BraneGames

Squire
Squire
@BraneGames Nice, thanks for sharing with us :smile: Looks like it was a solid experience, even if it was buggy and all those things you'd expected from an Alpha 0 build.

Really? Wow that's pretty neat if so.

I have a question though: What did you think was the biggest improvement from Alpha 0 to Alpha 1?
Combat 100%. Feels as if the action combat somehow works better with the large amount of ping you get in the EU