Official AoC website has been updated - A quick look at the Intrepid and mycom AoC websites

Intrepid recently updated their official website, featuring a new shop, account functionality, download options for APOC and more.
Their old website was sorely lacking in both functionality and aesthetics, being a combination of several "themes" as they had updated the website a little by little. A good website is always vital for a game, as it will be the first look for many new players wanting to know more about the game.

As so, this was a good day to take a look at the brand new, Ashes of Creation website! Also, for comparison, we took a look at the AoC My.com website, which will be the "official" website for European players.

Ashes of Creation Intrepid website

1545305779646.png
1545306645245.png

Front page
You are presented with a simple splash screen. If you click register you will be sent to accounts.ashesofcreation.com, where you can register a new account. If you want to login, you can click the small "man" icon on the top right corner, though the URL is currently broken.

The bottom half of the front page gives you a download link for APOC, and further down there are two links you can click for information about the MMO or APOC. These links are also found in the top navigation bar.

Blog page
Follows the new website design, and the page contains their blog entries, which was also present on the old site.

MMO page
Contains information (short overview of various features such as nodes, housing etc) about the MMO, which was also present on the old site.

APOC page
This is a new page, containing some short and basic information about the APOC (the different game-modes, a little backstory etc).

Shop and account page
This is on a sub-domain of the main site (accounts.ashesofcreation.com), and so the design is no longer the same. It is plain white, with a basic grey top navigation bar. I really hope they at least tweak the coloring of the background, as the glaring white is really a pain to look at. Also it doesn't really fit well with the new main website design path.

1545307297440.png

Conclusion: I'd give it a 2.5 out of 5 rating for the visual aspect.

The design is simple and clean, though I fear a bit too simple. It is also very dark. My.com site solved this nicely by not having all the text on black background.

The website is extremely bare-bones in terms of content and features, but of course this will be improved upon in stages. Their first priority was probably just to get out the new design, and functionality for download and registration/login for APOC.

It looks better then the old one, so it is a good start.

What I'm hoping is coming SOONTM for the official website:
  • News and updates section. They really need somewhere to post the latest news. The blog page does not count in that regard, that's just for blog entries. The news page would contain patch notes, content updates, new cosmetics and more. Just posting on Discord is not good enough, many do not use Discord for that kind of content (if at all).
  • Forum. Obviously the forum is coming back soon, but I'm hoping they have taken the time to provide a new forum solution as well. Vanilla forums is a pain to use, and the design/organizing/features was far from ideal.
  • Media section. Get those images and videos on a single page. Right now you can find that here on this website in our media section, but obviously it is also needed on the official website. Alongside some new large wallpapers and other goodies that fans can use as desktop wallpapers, content for their Ashes channels etc.

Ashes of Creation my.com website

1545306292204.png

Front page
The my.com page is currently just a single page. The navigation entries simply jump down to that segment on the page. They combined all the content on the first page, instead of splitting it up like on the official site.

Looks very nice with the animated burning tree, and a short info/backstory on the game. Further down you can view a trailer (Shape the World) from the game.

The next segment provides useful information about the MMO features, with nodes, questing, housing and more. Pretty standard stuff. The APOC segment is currently pretty empty. It has a video and a seal that says "find out more soon".

What I was most pleased about, was the my.com shop segment. It looks stunning! They provide all the information you need about the packs in a aesthetically pleasing way. Well done my.com.
1545308235520.png

Conclusion: I'd give it a 4 out of 5 rating for the visual aspect.

It looks better than the official website. The shop segment is just sexy, so that looks significantly better. Overall a more polished website.

There are some parts that are lacking, for example the APOC download links. Won't my.com "take" the EU players over to their site and servers until later in development? This may explain why this is lacking. We don't really know yet the fine details of the my.com agreement, which will impact what information and features will be hosted on the my.com website. The blog section is also missing.

As for what I'm hoping for next, this is pretty much identical to the list I made for the official site. I want a news section, EU/RU forum, and media section. The EU site will also need to get their download links up for APOC, unless they are only hosting the actual MMO.

Last edited:
Tex

Comments

FliP

Forum Bot
Knight
Donator
AoC Class
Fighter
Discord
FliP#8944
In my opinion, the my.com landing page looks much better.

The old website was just a WordPress mess that kept redirecting all over, but the new site is nothing special. It looks better than the old one, but the design is basic.

The Backend seems interesting with how they reworked the systems, but since I will be playing EU, my focus is on the my.com site, which were always good looking and functional and their forums use Wolflabs board, which is centuries ahead of Vanilla forums that IS uses.

Talking of forums, their forums are still down, closing in on 48 hours soon.
Another bummer is the supposed launch of Apocalypse, which still is not playable.

Assassino

Tech Enthusiast
Premium
Explorer
In my opinion they should have not migrated it without testing it first, and implementing features that were there and are now missing.
You could see some of the cosmetics that you bought in the old website, and now you only have the name of the cosmetic.
You could also buy cosmetics if you had a pack, and now you can only buy packs.
Also calling playstation 3 to the page were you buy embers makes no sense and gives confidence to no one buying them.
They have done a poor job in my opinion, they missed things that are easy to fix and although the new simpler design looks nice, the store page is a much worse.

I was excited when I heard they were updating their old website but have been very disappointed so far (especially since it seems I have lost most referrals and commissions in the migration process). I am constantly confused by the menu and which site I am actually on when I click links.
In addition, their new referral system requires people to use a code during sign-up. That is not going to work nor what they said it was when they originally set-up their program. I wonder what the content creator reaction is going to be to this new method!

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Knight
Donator
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
I seem to have lost, at least visually on the site, 5-6 referrals/purchases as well. Only referral I have is a purchase someone made for $15 earlier this month.

The cosmetics aren't even organized correctly and I seemingly have cosmetics I have not purchased, possibly rewards from kickstarter though.

I am not a fan of the home page or really anything they've done with the site. I don't care about the forums being down as I never venture there. It feels like whoever designed and implemented the web site was rushed through it. They had to make the Dec 18th deadline for the APOC launch.

FliP

Forum Bot
Knight
Donator
AoC Class
Fighter
Discord
FliP#8944
I also "miss" some referral revenue.
During the old website, I had about 20-something USD of unpaid revenue, now I have 0.

I am also still missing my Embers that I should have gotten. I am the owner of the 2017 250 USD PAX Pack, which was later replaced with a similarely prices pack because the new packs include much more than the old pack had. It was basically just access to Alpha 2 onwards and exclusive PAX cosmetics.

When I log into my new profile, I am first greeted with "Upgrade to Voyager Plus for 125 USD" which does not look right. It does not even display the packs and items I own. The only thing I have ....
..scratch that, it is in my inventory under Profile Home.

So what I have there is:

Pseudo-Dracolich Pet (bundle) 1x
Alpha 0 Download 1x
Bonestrider (bundle) 1x
Voyager Pre-Order Pack 1x
Spectral Eye (bundle) 1x

So, with the Voyager Pack as equivalent to my 2017 PAX Pack, I should have (according to aoc.my.com because the official AOC site is still a mess and down half of the time I am on it) 100 $ worth of Embers, 6 months of game time, Artic Prowler, Winter Nyth and Frostguard Cloak.

I obviously cannot have game time yet, but I have not received either of what I should get with my pack.

I should have 10.000 Embers, but If I want to be a dick I should demand more than that. If 1000 Embers are 9,99$, this means that 1$ should be 100,1 Embers. Now, if my calculation serves me right, 100 $ worth of Embers should be 10.010 Embers and that is what I will demand if they keep dicking around.

Now, I also did not get the Mounts and the Cloak, because why else would they offer it to me as add-ons if I already have them?

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Knight
Donator
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
Looking through all my items in detail I see a huge gap of missing items. I seem to have all of my Leader Of Men kickstarter items and recently purchased store items. But all of the summer add on items I purchased(all of them) don't exist. And I have some other random items that I don't know where they're from.

I'm going to be rather pissed if I have to go back and argue with them about all of the missing purchases. IF this is all corrected without any trouble to me i'm fine. Hiccups happen I guess.

Daemonic

Squire
Squire
It looks a lot better than TWOs website so I am impressed.

Register now, and join the best place for AoC content and discussion!

Register Log in

New threads

Latest guides

Our Discord

Facebook Page