Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
So Steven dropped some nice news in the latest livestream about seamanship progress. Looks pretty badass so far! We are looking at different classes on the ship (piloting, weaponry etc), as well as all the things you can upgrade on your ship.. In addition to professions and gaining experience in what you enjoy doing on a boat, for example repairing or weapon related duties.

What else is on your wish-list about ships and its classes/professions? How detailed should they be? :)

I would for example like to see Dynamic weather & the danger of "nature", in addition to of course you potentially getting boarded/naval combat. Depending on how much time they have, if little: Just cosmetic stuff to add immersion, such as rain, cloudy etc. If they really want to get down to business: Storms with heavy winds, affecting many things such as maneuverability (will benefit those with better piloting progression etc), naval combat difficulty with aiming (will benefit those with better weaponry progression etc) and similar.

Some parts of the Vera world with especially harsh conditions? Lots of ship wrecks, might be some very good loot? Perfect spot for ship looters looking for an easy score, should they stay out of storms and such.

Ship_of_the_damned.png

One of the ideas we’re putting into our sea content designs, ships will have piloting skills, different classes among the ships, additionally they’ll have utility and weaponry that can be implemented onto the ship.

We were talking about seamanship before the stream cut off. I felt like we were back in our early days of KS. We’ve never really gone down like that. I see everybody is being their mature internet selves with the seamanship stuff. What shall we call it? Your Boatsmanship. Boat Skills.

Part of AoC is that there are many different progression paths. You have your adventuring class, society progression, node progression, crafting progression, weapon progression, boatsmanship progression among the different classes of boats you’ll have in AoC, there are also different components that will exist in the hull of the ship, those components could be weapons, defensive, utility, trade, piloting. Part of the Boatsmanship class is that as you gain experience in handling these different component you will become more adept at using them, which will make you a more sophisticated Mariner on the sea.

The idea is that you can spec into, create your own class of what you like to do on the boat and how do you get better at doing boaty things. It’s going to be similar in structure to the artisanship trees. You’ll have your mariner class. You’ll have different trees in the class, whether it’s gunnery, piloting, navigation, repairing the boat, that kind of thing. The more you go out on the sea the more experience you get for it, The more you can spec into that class.

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Guild Master
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
I'm hoping for something similar to what SWG had for its space combat/ships. One could upgrade the engine, weapons, capacitors, boosters, nav computer, and utilities. All similar things that could be implemented in AoC but for boats. Armor, cannons, sails, storage, rudder, and so forth. Also some easy paint customization or guild logos would be amazing.

I think weather will be a part of the game in any area you are. Will it affect the player past a cool visual effect? I don't know, I would like it to. But maybe event style weather conditions could be really cool too. Maybe a sea port node hits level 4 or 5 and the game launches an event to knock it down. But instead of this event being a dragon or other monster, it's a hurricane. The node citizens need to team up to "fortify" the city. A massive gathering quest for wood and stones. Then during the landfall the citizens could repair public buildings to keep the city from deleveling.

Just my thoughts :)

Reactions: Tex

Kalez

Squire
Squire
Reaction score
Honestly with naval stuff in general I wish they would release this as an expansion later on. So they can focus on the land game first.

Bdo did naval stuff amazingly but the rewards need to be worthwhile for something that is usually very time consuming

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
I'm hoping for something similar to what SWG had for its space combat/ships. One could upgrade the engine, weapons, capacitors, boosters, nav computer, and utilities. All similar things that could be implemented in AoC but for boats. Armor, cannons, sails, storage, rudder, and so forth. Also some easy paint customization or guild logos would be amazing.

I think weather will be a part of the game in any area you are. Will it affect the player past a cool visual effect? I don't know, I would like it to. But maybe event style weather conditions could be really cool too. Maybe a sea port node hits level 4 or 5 and the game launches an event to knock it down. But instead of this event being a dragon or other monster, it's a hurricane. The node citizens need to team up to "fortify" the city. A massive gathering quest for wood and stones. Then during the landfall the citizens could repair public buildings to keep the city from deleveling.

Just my thoughts :)
Oh definitely. No doubt we will get various upgrade options, I believe some have been confirmed already. As for the guild customization, I'm really hoping for this too.

Yeah it will probably only be visual eye candy, but it would be super cool if the system was deeper than that. Perhaps a ship/sea themed expansion will add stuff like that. New island areas, dynamic weather, new ships etc. As for specially triggered events, that would help in alleviating my hunger for dynamic weather system.. :p That I actually have hopes of them adding, as we know we'll get lots of node triggered disaster events.

Honestly with naval stuff in general I wish they would release this as an expansion later on. So they can focus on the land game first.

Bdo did naval stuff amazingly but the rewards need to be worthwhile for something that is usually very time consuming
Understandable point, but I have faith in Intrepid that they'll do the system justice :)

Kalez

Squire
Squire
Reaction score
I have faith but less to work on sooner and better the content they focused should be

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Guild Master
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
I have faith but less to work on sooner and better the content they focused should be
I think Intrepid will be able to put off a lot of higher endgame content until the game develops a certain degree. Cities will need to develop to Metropolis before certain raids unlock and players have adequate gear. Secrets unlocked and other discoveries made.

• Agree
Reactions: Tex