Tanking what are you looking for ?

buddy

Recruit
Recruit
Reaction score
Hello my fellow friends of Big Shilds, Platted Armor or just Big Healthbars.
I really love to Tank in Mmos and would like to know what tanking in Ashes Of Creation is going to be , or what you want it to be like.

I would love to see a combination of ESO tanking and Vanilla WOW tanking

Tanks should be able to take or avoid a lot more punishment than any other class. They should have abilities that allow them to do so as well as abilities that cause enemies to engage them instead of others.

Tanks tend to be the leader of their parties and as such should have a good deal of awareness for what is happening around the battlefield and they should have the tools to try and adjust the flow of the battle if need be.

I do not ever see there role being an exceptional damage dealer, in fact, I don't think Tanks should even come close to dealing the amount of damage a dps primary archetype can sadly most Mmos go towards the dps tank to keep aggro controll simple.

That isn't to say that they shouldn't be able to hold their own for some time, but their superior survivability should be balanced with a overall lower amount of damage. Attentive and strategic execution of their taunts, pulls, and control abilities should be the difference between a good Tank and a great one.

Last edited:

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
I've never played a tank in any MMOs actually, it is my least familiar role. They should for sure be able to deal some damage, especially if they combine it with for example mage as secondary. But obviously not outclassing pure DPS classes.

It isn't a requirement, but I do agree that it is useful when the tank is leading the party.

Class balance and class synergy is vital in any MMO, and I do think that Intrepid will strike a good balance. :)

buddy

Recruit
Recruit
Reaction score
I just wonder if a Pure TANK will tank better then a TANK / warrior mix up or a TAnk mage mix up. I would love to see sertain bosses in need of sertain tanks. Like here you need a kiter / your a brawler / and here an AOE tank and at the big bad meen boss you need someone to tear his skirt appart to get your agro.. same goes for DD´s and heals just dont let us sit at the n1 works for all encounters class kinda thing. that would ruin the class system in total.

Cydramech

Swordsman
Veteran
Swordsman
Reaction score
Discord
Cydramech#3315
If turtle-shell tanking were still the only valid style of tanking, I just wouldn't be a tank. It's boring as hell and even easier than dealing damage. I prefer a style wherein the key is neither to soak damage nor to dodge it entirely, but wherein the tank is motivated to maintain a balance of HP loss - that is, the tank will need to lose some life in order to deal damage and to damage the enemy to heal himself.

Seffi

Squire
Squire
Reaction score
If I can replicate Death Knight tanking (theme wise) like plating my already plate armor with the bones of slain enemies and healing myself by spilling the blood of my still living enemies, that'd be great. I also hope there's a parry system in place whether for weapons or shields or both; iirc timing based mechanic that could allow me extra time to get out of the way, avoid damage, or open up a weak point for my more damage-based allies to strike. If either or both of these make it into the game, I already will be enjoying this iteration of my favorite role.

Morashtak

Tanks with Fishing Pole
Legend Premium
Recruit
Reaction score
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
Morashtak#6754
Let's see if we can restart this thread;

Tank/Bard; Argent - While Steve and crew have said that they want to make each class/combo "viable" this is one that screams "support role" rather than main or even off tank. With a good mix of miscellaneous support abilities/spells (songs?) this one might be a "taunt" type of tank. Maybe even some illusion abilities?

Tank/Cleric; Paladin - Here's one that should be a main as well as off tank. Not only should it be extremely viable against undead as well as lower planar creatures this class should have a pretty decent AoE repertoire. Can see it being a better fit against bosses that have sustained (non-crit) damage as well as AoEs. The paladins ability to self heal could be the difference when the party's healers are low on mana.

Tank/Fighter; Knight - Another of our main/off tanks. Should be a strong single target tank with strong threat generation. The tank you want for those classic "tank-n-spank" bosses. Would have some AoE taunt abilities but should not be the master of them.

Tank/Mage; Spellshield - Can see this being the master tank against magic using targets. While there would be some shield abilities inherent in the tank class itself this combo could augment those abilities with a magical enhancement. Just watch out for any spell steal or negate abilities that a boss might have.

Tank/Ranger; Warden - Remembering that the additional abilities only augment the main class this one is hard to pin down without it sounding like a half tank/half hunter class. Could this tank temporarily tame a tank-type animal such as a bear and how long might the ability last? This one is going to require some testing so it feels about right for most players.

Tank/Rogue; Nightshield - Here could be our "dodge" tank. While most tanks are built on strength and stamina this build could emphasize agility as a way to not get hit in the first place. Might not be as survivable against bosses with a lot of AoE abilities.

Tank/Summoner; Keeper - Bring a tank that brings his friends! This could be an interesting tank to use against bosses fights where the party is expecting a lot of adds. The Keeper could summon some combat pets and have them help battle the adds while he himself is turning his full attention to the boss.

Tank/Tank; Guardian* - The "anti-crit" tank. This tank doesn't do anything fancy but the basic things he does do he does extremely well. The tank to bring when the boss has a "slam" mechanic. This class would take it and ask for more. Just don't expect it to be as versatile as any of the others.

Did I miss anything?

* - Really wish that the two titles would be swapped, ex. Guardian/Bard; Argent. This would make Guardian/Guardian the "Tank" who would be the tankiest tank that ever tanked.

• Amazing!
Reactions: Tex

Vujkan

Squire
Premium
Squire
Reaction score
AoC Class
Rogue
Discord
Vujkan #0629
i will play as Warden class Definitly :) i like this class,basicly i play warden years and years in Lord of the rings Online (warden) so Tex do you know maybe which waepons use warden in AoC i hope shield and spear combo :P!!

Cydramech

Swordsman
Veteran
Swordsman
Reaction score
Discord
Cydramech#3315
I'm going to add something else to what I said before.

I absofuckinglutely want tank stances. I want to have to switch from an offensive stance to a defensive stance in order to reduce damage and to hold enmity, and I want to have to switch to a DPS stance to do damage, and I want it to have a negative enmity gain so that I cannot stay in defensive stance to DPS for long if I plan on holding enmity.