Legend Premium
Guest Editor
Recruit
Reaction score
AoC Class
Mage
Discord
Tiberius#6476
Well if you guys have been getting into the Apocalypse tell me what you think about the combat mechanics. Personally, I like how the running feels, nice and solid, but I find the lunge attacks to be very awkward and pulls you out of realism so to speak. You kinda flow forward, and you just zip across the ground and float to a landing at your final position. This seems to cause some loss of combat fluidity when you go to attack people they kinda just fly all over the place and if they run into a terrain hitbox it adjusts there location unnaturally almost teleporting them.

In addition to that, the hitbox mechanic seems a bit slow to register attacks a lot of the time creating a feeling of your weapons gliding through things and reducing the weightiness they have. I am interested to see how the tab target system mechanic they are putting in will play out.

Tiberius

Recruit
Legend Premium
Guest Editor
Recruit
Reaction score
AoC Class
Mage
Discord
Tiberius#6476
Side note, the stamina function that allows strong lung attacks is being used in....interesting ways. I am not sure if it's intended or just a byproduct of being smart. But after watching winners I've noticed the lung attack is being used as a mod of transportation, people doing a lung attack x3 to dart ahead a large area, keep running for 3 seconds while it recharges, then doing it again. It allows unprecedented speed when running away if you have the weapon for it (this person was using the polearm). And since you can use it from one lunge to another, I've seen people use it to fly through the air. No joke watched someone just run and launch themselves through a series of lung attacks to end up on the second story of a building lol. Feels very BDOish to me, and me no likey.

squeetee

Ban Hammer
Senior Moderator
Guild Master
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Tank
Discord
squeetee#6525
The whole lung mechanic is crazy. I use it to skip a floor and go into the second story a lot. Also the super speed transportation, depending on what main hand you are holding is the same mana spend as using your dodge to move, except you get an attack swing at the end. I've uncloaked an enemy on accident doing that. 90% of my melee attacks are charging/lunging. I back up a bit recharge my mana then jump in. Roll back then rinse repeat. Very effective.

Combat is fun and kills are satisfying. Ranged is amazingly difficult, at least for myself. Some mechanics like grimoire + jump boots is over the top. I think a major overhaul / rebalance will happen before chapter 2.

FliP

Forum Bot
Knight
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Fighter
Discord
FliP#8944
The attacks don't look fluid and natural.

Running is fine, but then the character suddenly does a strike attack and jumps 50 meters forward. Looks ridiculous.

Vujkan

Squire
Premium
Squire
Reaction score
AoC Class
Rogue
Discord
Vujkan #0629
For now looks so bad y, movements,jumps,rotate character so bad,but y it's still early to talk about combat system :) we'll see in Q2 i hope better combat system :)

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
@Tiberius

A bit too fast for my taste, and all the jumping around looks absurdly comical (not in a good way). Just like bunny jumping in FPS games. Some animations looks pretty good and fluid though, so there's definitely some good elements in there.
That said, it being fast isn't that strange given the fact that it is purely a action combat system. Though I'm more interested in the hybrid combat system.

FliP

Forum Bot
Knight
Donator
Reaction score
AoC Class
Fighter
Discord
FliP#8944
@Tiberius

A bit too fast for my taste, and all the jumping around looks absurdly comical (not in a good way). Just like bunny jumping in FPS games. Some animations looks pretty good and fluid though, so there's definitely some good elements in there.
That said, it being fast isn't that strange given the fact that it is purely a action combat system. Though I'm more interested in the hybrid combat system.
Agree.

When I see people stacking certain animations to "fly" into upper floors of buildings, facepalm is not enough.

I am all for the ability to improve with skill, but such things are just broken.

• Agree
Reactions: Tex