What class are you the most interested in?

What class are you the most interested in?

• Total voters

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
Just wanted to hear what you guys think about the classes :) There are of course so many combinations you can pick in AoC! To be more spesific, 64 different combos. But let's start with the easier choice, which archetype are you looking to test first? And why? Also, if you already know the secondary combo, feel free to share :)

Last edited:

Cydramech

Swordsman
Veteran
Swordsman
Reaction score
Discord
Cydramech#3315
Firstly, you're referring to the archetype. The classes are the combination of archetype. ;) (See more here.)

Secondly, to answer this myself: I'll most likely go for a Tank or Fighter archetype. (Though I'll inevitably make a Necromancer too.)

Reactions: Tex

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
Firstly, you're referring to the archetype. The classes are the combination of archetype. ;)(See more here.)

Secondly, to answer this myself: I'll most likely go for a Tank or Fighter archetype. (Though I'll inevitably make a Necromancer too.)
Welcome to the site! :)

Of course, you are absolutely correct ;) Fixed that little blunder.

Is that something similar to the role(s) you have selected in previous MMORPGs? Or you going for something new this time? :)

Myself I've usually gone for Mage/Cleric sort of combos, but this time I think I'm going to pick Ranger, perhaps in combination with Summoner.

Cydramech

Swordsman
Veteran
Swordsman
Reaction score
Discord
Cydramech#3315
Welcome to the site! :)

Of course, you are absolutely correct ;) Fixed that little blunder.

Is that something similar to the role(s) you have selected in previous MMORPGs? Or you going for something new this time? :)

Myself I've usually gone for Mage/Cleric sort of combos, but this time I think I'm going to pick Ranger, perhaps in combination with Summoner.
I used to try different roles when I was new to MMORPGs as a whole a decade ago, but that was before I realized tanking had my name all over it. It's so natural for me, my biggest regret was not becoming one earlier in time.

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
I used to try different roles when I was new to MMORPGs as a whole a decade ago, but that was before I realized tanking had my name all over it. It's so natural for me, my biggest regret was not becoming one earlier in time.
Nice haha. Sometimes certain things are just meant to be.. :)

Cydramech

Swordsman
Veteran
Swordsman
Reaction score
Discord
Cydramech#3315
-sagely nod-

Indeed, that they are.

Majerin

Recruit
Recruit
Reaction score
Mage-Mage, Mage-Summoner. Can't go wrong with magic and more magic. (Although Necromancers always grab my attention, the cleric secondary gives me pause.)

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
Mage-Mage, Mage-Summoner. Can't go wrong with magic and more magic. (Although Necromancers always grab my attention, the cleric secondary gives me pause.)
haha, that's true. Only thing that has been problematic for me in the past (I've often played Mage), was that during instances, mages weren't as needed. I'm hoping the uniqueness of the combo classes will alleviate this problem in AoC, providing usefulness for most combos :)

Koly

Squire
Squire
Reaction score
I will probably go Cleric, always easy to find groups, healing always pisses people off in PvP. Combine it with either a tanky or damage secondary and you have many options. Maybe I'll end up a Shaman! We'll see! ;)

Majerin

Recruit
Recruit
Reaction score
haha, that's true. Only thing that has been problematic for me in the past (I've often played Mage), was that during instances, mages weren't as needed. I'm hoping the uniqueness of the combo classes will alleviate this problem in AoC, providing usefulness for most combos :)
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's a difficult problem to solve. Few people like hybrid taxes (myself included), but at the same time it's hard to justify giving a class like a wizard/mage/whathaveyou as much utility as off-heals or CC bots and the like. So in a world of equal damage, they're often edged out.

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
I will probably go Cleric, always easy to find groups, healing always pisses people off in PvP. Combine it with either a tanky or damage secondary and you have many options. Maybe I'll end up a Shaman! We'll see! ;)
Clerics are always loved in MMO games ;) Always a safe choice.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's a difficult problem to solve. Few people like hybrid taxes (myself included), but at the same time it's hard to justify giving a class like a wizard/mage/whathaveyou as much utility as off-heals or CC bots and the like. So in a world of equal damage, they're often edged out.
Indeed! The different primary archetypes has to provide something unique to the dungeon party, if not then some will always be left out in favor of other combos. Though Steven said that the party size is bigger than your usual five members (it is eight; http://www.theaocdungeon.com/threads/dev-journal-group-dynamics.8/), so that's good news in regards to this. Obviously, balancing all different hybrid combos is impossible, I'm fine with some combos being (slightly) better for PvE, some for PvP, etc.

Majerin

Recruit
Recruit
Reaction score
Oh neat! I hadn't seen that the typical dungeon group would be 8. That's pretty cool. One easy way to encourage people bringing variety rather than stacking the strong is from unique buffs/debuffs, I think that's a concept that a lot of MMOs have forgotten about for whatever reason.

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
Oh neat! I hadn't seen that the typical dungeon group would be 8. That's pretty cool. One easy way to encourage people bringing variety rather than stacking the strong is from unique buffs/debuffs, I think that's a concept that a lot of MMOs have forgotten about for whatever reason.
Yeah it's pretty cool! I'm kinda bored of the standard 5 man parties, so it will definitely add more flavor. Especially with all the different class combinations. I'm sure some of them will have some strong buffs that will be vital in instances. :)

Majerin

Recruit
Recruit
Reaction score
Have they said how many tanks and healers there would be in a standard dungeon group? I'm not totally caught up on all the news. So is it like 1 tank, 2 healer and then 5 damage?

Tex

Lord Ashes
Administrator
King
Reaction score
AoC Class
Ranger
Discord
Tex#1327
Have they said how many tanks and healers there would be in a standard dungeon group? I'm not totally caught up on all the news. So is it like 1 tank, 2 healer and then 5 damage?
Not as far as I have seen, no.

Each Archetype has a valuable utility that applies to exploration and adventure which will help dungeons and other content go more smoothly. We want to allow for well-rounded parties to be rewarded for diversity and inclusion when people are determining party composition.
Here is what we know about the group dynamics:
http://www.theaocdungeon.com/threads/dev-journal-group-dynamics.8/